collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Forum closed by whazzup
[September 25, 2021, 02:56:14 PM]

How do i replace an image file with another image file by Malu
[December 16, 2020, 03:17:02 PM]

Can't get RSG "Show My Galleries" to work by Dampfnudel
[February 25, 2019, 11:01:55 AM]

Change the order of uploaded images in the gallery by whazzup
[February 19, 2019, 10:37:29 PM]

Upload timeout for large galleries (500 images each) by whazzup
[February 11, 2019, 10:07:25 PM]

Greetings from Ronald Smit by whazzup
[January 06, 2019, 03:39:22 PM]

Pluign and module by whazzup
[June 08, 2018, 11:57:13 PM]

Version 4.4.1 released by whazzup
[May 31, 2018, 04:31:16 PM]

Author Topic: Image Click-Through Fails [sh404SEF file for RSG2 seems to fail?!]  (Read 4187 times)

Offline scene66

Hi RSGallery

We have just discovered that gallery images will not click through from one to the next.

If we start on image #1, the gallery will not progress to the next image when #2 is clicked.
If we start on any image other than #1, clicking ahead will revert to image #1, and then it stays on #1.

Example view #1 :
http://scenestr.com.au/354-greazefest-rocklea-showground-03-08-13/14337-f68a0633?lang=en&limit=1

Example view #2 :
http://scenestr.com.au/355-greazefest-rocklea-showground-04-08-13

This is a new issue, as it:
a) wasn't always this way
b) isn't the case on another site publish

Both versions are RSGallery 3.1.0 on Joomla 2.5.14

Help appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:11:35 PM by mirjam »

Offline mirjam

• Retired from Dev Team
Re: Image Click-Through Fails
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 12:16:45 PM »
Please update RSG2 and answer questions in http://www.rsgallery2.nl/rsgallery2_3.x_bugs_problems/posting_rules_16708.0.html especially those on SEF.
With a little boy in the house I don't spend as much time on RSG2 anymore.

I still like RSG2, if you do too, please think about how you can invest some of your time in RSG2... the one remaining coding volunteer (Whazzup) can use your help!

Offline scene66

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 01:05:17 PM »
I have updated to the current version — RSGallery2 3.2.0 - SVN 1098
and the issue still exists. My apologies for not doing this first.

SEF
We are using sh404SEF on all sites but have not upgraded for 9 months. The RSGallery2 issue is just recent.

Joomla 2.5 SEO settings remain:
    Search Engine Friendly URLs   No
    Use URL rewriting   No
    Adds Suffix to URL   No
    Unicode Aliases   No

On a recent Joomla upgrade, we had another issue whereby any user except a Super Admin could not log in. That was resolved when it was identified that "somewhere along the line, there were more than one " Parent_ID"'s with a value of zero. All such IDs had to be changed to a different value except for root.

Perhaps a Joomla upgrade has messed something?

I notice when I hover over the URL in the first link in my first post, the end of the YRL reads limit=1. Is that a clue?

Offline mirjam

• Retired from Dev Team
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »
This is hard to figure out. It may have something to do with what changed since you've noticed the different behaviour, although it's often hard to find what is was/is then. It may have something to do with differences in system settings between this system and the one where it is working (compare their System Information, and please mention your system information here). It may be in RSG2 and it may be in sh404SEF :(

The "limit" value is strange. It was used in RSG2 once, though not anymore if I remember correctly. I checked my J25 site without SEF and none of the images in the gallery show the "limit" variable in the URL.

From my gallery page clicking on the first image:
?option=com_rsgallery2&page=inline&id=1025&Itemid=125
then click next
?option=com_rsgallery2&page=inline&Itemid=125&gid=33&limitstart=1
then click previous
?option=com_rsgallery2&page=inline&Itemid=125&gid=33&limitstart=0
--> No limit variable here! So where is your limit-variable coming from?

Checking the demosite from the gallery that does use SEF http://demo.rsgallery2.nl/index.php/demo-rsgallery2/3-a-subgallery the first image
http://demo.rsgallery2.nl/index.php/demo-rsgallery2/3-a-subgallery/27-1545496
click next
http://demo.rsgallery2.nl/index.php/demo-rsgallery2/3-a-subgallery/21-1545497
click previous
http://demo.rsgallery2.nl/index.php/demo-rsgallery2/3-a-subgallery/27-1545496
--> Again, no limit variable in the URL.

The demo page has Backend > Components > RSGallery2 > Control Panel > Configuration > tab: General > Setting: Advanced SEF (...) = Yes.

Could you check if sh404SEF is using its own SEF-file for RSG2 or if it is using the file that RSG2 supplies? Long ago when sh404SEF was still a free extension I created a SEF file for that sh404SEF version. That was not updated since the sh404SEF went commercial, so not sure if it still can be used. I don't know if they have their own file.

My plan would be
1. Check what file sh404SEF is using for SEF,
a. its own --> disable that or
b. that of the RSG2 component. --> can that be disabled?
2. Check what happens when sh404SEF is disabled completely
3. Compare System Information and SEF settings (of Joomla, sh404SEF and RSG2 as above) of the systems that do and don't work
4. Check in the database if what you mention with the parent ids shows something weird (although I don't exactly know what you're referring to)

Also, please give your System Information and the RSG2 SEF setting (as mentioned above) that you use.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:43:57 PM by mirjam »

I still like RSG2, if you do too, please think about how you can invest some of your time in RSG2... the one remaining coding volunteer (Whazzup) can use your help!

Offline scene66

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 01:57:02 PM »
Quote from: mirjam
... please mention your system information here).
Both sites (the one that works and the one that doesn't) are on the same server:
PHP 5.2.17
Apache 2.2.22
Both sites operate Joomla 2.5.14

So where is yours coming from?
  :o

The demo page has Backend > Components > RSGallery2 > Control Panel > Configuration > tab: General > Setting: Advanced SEF (...) = Yes.
I had this set = YES on the broken site. I had this set = NO on the working site. Both sites now set = NO.

My plan would be
1. Check what file sh404SEF is using for SEF,
a. its own --> disable that or
b. that of the RSG2 component. --> can that be disabled?
2. Check what happens when sh404SEF is disabled completely
3. Compare System Information and SEF settings (of Joomla, sh404SEF and RSG2 as above) of the systems that do and don't work
4. Check in the database if what you mention with the parent ids shows something weird (although I don't exactly know what you're referring to)
When I disabled sh404SEF, the problem went away.
I enabled sh404SEF, and changed sh404SEF > Control Panel > Configuration > By Component > RSGallery > Select any option other than "use default handler"
and the issue was fixed.

The site now operates with different settings to the site that does work, but I'm happy (enough!) although the URLs aren't as clean. I'll keep fiddling but at least we have a solution and have identified the problem area.

Thank you again for your excellent insights and support.

Offline mirjam

• Retired from Dev Team
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 04:55:54 PM »
I had this set = YES on the broken site. I had this set = NO on the working site. Both sites now set = NO.
This "No" option gives the not so clean URLs, please try the "Yes" option. That is the option that the demosite uses (it has e.g. the gallery names).

I enabled sh404SEF, and changed sh404SEF > Control Panel > Configuration > By Component > RSGallery > Select any option other than "use default handler"
and the issue was fixed.
What are the other options? And what does "use default handler" mean? Does that mean "use the file supplied with sh404SEF"? It seems so since when you disable sh404SEF things work, and the "limit"-variable is introduced in the URL.

Thank you again for your excellent insights and support.
Thanks. But also: our little one had a day with some more sleep, so I had some time for a hobby ;-) Lucky you perhaps?

Search Engine Friendly (SEF) URLs are made with some "knowlegde" of how variables in non-SEF URLs connect to, in this case, gallery names and item names. RSGallery2 has a file that is used when Joomla's own SEF is used (router.php) and can do this in two ways (the above No and Yes options, having numbers or more complicated to code having names). If the logic in the file is not right the SEF URLs don't work. That means that if a third party component uses logic that is not entirely correct that the SEF URLs don't work. (And: if the RSGallery2 file uses logic that is not entirely correct, then it won't work either). There are enough comments in the RSG2 file, I think, to get a third party developer going.

Offline scene66

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »
Quote from: scene66
This "No" option gives the not so clean URLs, please try the "Yes" option. That is the option that the demosite uses (it has e.g. the gallery names).
Done. Much better :D

Quote from: scene66
I enabled sh404SEF, and changed sh404SEF > Control Panel > Configuration > By Component > RSGallery > Select any option other than "use default handler" and the issue was fixed.
What are the other options? And what does "use default handler" mean? Does that mean "use the file supplied with sh404SEF"? It seems so since when you disable sh404SEF things work, and the "limit"-variable is introduced in the URL.
I'm not sure what the options mean, but I've attached a tricked-up diagram of all the options in sh404SEF > Control Panel > Configuration > By Component > RSGallery >
In the first drop-down menu ...
• The one that worked best is : "Use Joomla Router".
• Second best is "Simple Encoding"
• Third best is "Use Default" which returns the original problem of not progresing through the gallery beyond image 1
• Finally, "Leave as Non-SEF" returns 404s

In the fourth drop-down menu, there is no difference between the default sh404 (first option) and "Use Joomla! Router" - they both return a URL that looks like this: http://scenestr.com.au/component/rsgallery2/394-perth-fashion-festival-designer-capsule-day-2-14-09-13/15985-dsc-0120?limit=1

Offline mirjam

• Retired from Dev Team
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 10:11:15 PM »
I think that "Use Joomla! router" uses the same file as Joomla does, which is the router.php file that comes with RSGallery2. I suspect then, based on the info in this thread, that the sh404SEF file for RSGallery2 is not working okey. Good to know, I'll adjust the title of this thread to reflect that.

What happens (or does not happen?) with the setting in the fourth dropdown box is something for the sh404SEF forum. Don't recognise that dropdown box from the day when that component was free.