collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Forum closed by whazzup
[September 25, 2021, 02:56:14 PM]

How do i replace an image file with another image file by Malu
[December 16, 2020, 03:17:02 PM]

Can't get RSG "Show My Galleries" to work by Dampfnudel
[February 25, 2019, 11:01:55 AM]

Change the order of uploaded images in the gallery by whazzup
[February 19, 2019, 10:37:29 PM]

Upload timeout for large galleries (500 images each) by whazzup
[February 11, 2019, 10:07:25 PM]

Greetings from Ronald Smit by whazzup
[January 06, 2019, 03:39:22 PM]

Pluign and module by whazzup
[June 08, 2018, 11:57:13 PM]

Version 4.4.1 released by whazzup
[May 31, 2018, 04:31:16 PM]

Author Topic: Tabbed Menus Not Functioning  (Read 4212 times)

maw093

Tabbed Menus Not Functioning
« on: September 27, 2012, 11:44:13 PM »
System Info:
Database Version:    5.1.38
PHP Version:    5.2.9
Web Server:    Apache/2.2.20 (CentOS)
Web Server to PHP interface:    apache2handler
Joomla! Version:    Joomla! 1.5.18 Stable

Installed RSGallery2 version:   2.3.0 (SVN 1097)

I have my RSGallery2 located inside an article section of a Joomla site. I have noticed that throughout the site the tabbed menus do not work. Each item is simply stacked on top on the other and spills into the right content. The interface looks like this:

This happens anywhere tabs are suppose to be used, inside My Galleries as well as the individual image view. I imagine this is some kind of template issue, but everything I have tried modifying in the CSS has not fixed it. Any ideas?

Offline mirjam

• Retired from Dev Team
Re: Tabbed Menus Not Functioning
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 12:44:29 PM »
This is something for which I urge you to update your Joomla 1.5 version to the latest 1.5.26 (currently, see http://www.joomla.org/download.html).

These tabs work with javascript and the first thing that comes to mind to check is issues that occur when different extensions may give conflicts when using javascript.

Try to enable the plugin "System - Mootools Upgrade" (via Backend > Extension > Plugin Manager). See http://docs.joomla.org/What_is_the_Mootools_1.2.4_upgrade_plugin%3F for why I ask you to update Joomla (beside for reasons of security!), in Joomla 1.5.25 Mootools 1.2.5 can be used with this plugin).

Next thing to try is to click on the RSGallery2 menu item in the frontend and then add "&tmpl=component" to the URL. E.g. www.mysite.nl/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&page=inline&id=72&Itemid=26 becomes www.mysite.nl/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&page=inline&id=72&Itemid=26&tmpl=component
This way only the component is loaded and you can try if the tabs then work.
Other way to test this is to create a page where only the component is shown, and no other modules.

On RSGallery2 3.2.0 there was a similar issue with the tabs, but that had as a cause that some CSS styling was missing from the templates. What you also could try is to see whether setting the Joomla default template rhuk_milkyway as default (Backend > Extensions > Template Manager) works or not. This to check if it is a template problem or not. (And of course, the template may use javascript as well, so different causes might be combined).

Last thing: do you have "Debug System" enabled or not? (Backend > Site > Global Configuration > System). Reason to ask this is that with debug enabled a different set of mootools (javascript library) files is used.

So, enough things to check, and the problem may be in combination of things :-(
With a little boy in the house I don't spend as much time on RSG2 anymore.

I still like RSG2, if you do too, please think about how you can invest some of your time in RSG2... the one remaining coding volunteer (Whazzup) can use your help!

maw093

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 11:06:34 PM »
I do believe it is a template issue, the site is currently using a custom template. I do not wish to change the default template because I do not want to risk breaking the rest of the site (it is live). Also, at this time updating is not an option. I'm doing this for someone else and am a little stuck because it is not mine to modify extremely for debugging.

However, when I added  "&tmpl=component" to the end of the URL when viewing My Galleries the tabs are working. Any ideas as to what can be modified to make the tabs work? I apologize, this doesn't leave you with much to work from either.

Offline mirjam

• Retired from Dev Team
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 11:11:16 AM »
However, when I added  "&tmpl=component" to the end of the URL when viewing My Galleries the tabs are working.
That makes me think that there is a combination of things causing this, for example different extension (the template or modules) combined result in a problem. What you then do is turn off the different modules on the site and then turn them on one by one to try to find out which combination results in a problem.
In the past using this trial and error another user found out that the (great!) GoogleMaps plugin (http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/maps-a-weather/maps-a-locations/maps/1147) and RSGallery2 v3 combined resulted in a problem. Mike Reumer, the guy who created the GoogleMaps plugin, and I then went "hunting" for the exact problem and in the end both extensions needed changes to works well.

I would also try if turning the System Debug on/off is helpfull, and in any case, set it on off (disabled) when finished checking. It just adds another piece of information.

Joomla templates can be changed with a mouseclick and easily changed back again. I assume that the default template is still on the server, so you could just change the default template and within a couple of minutes change it back. This would give you an easy test to see if it is the template or one of the installed extensions showing on that site.

Another thing for you to test stuff: would the someone else who you are helping allow to create a subdomain on the same website (like demo.rsgallery2.nl is a subdomain of rsgallery2.nl) where you can install a backup of the site and test things on? Another option is to create a subdirectory in which you install the site. That way you do have the same environment but you can try thing without "disturbing" users of the live site, and you can test updating and see how easy it can be and (worst case) see if there are any problems with updating.

The person you are helping should realise that updating Joomla and its extensions is neccessary because of security reasons and limiting you in what you can/may do is limiting you in what you can do to help...

I still like RSG2, if you do too, please think about how you can invest some of your time in RSG2... the one remaining coding volunteer (Whazzup) can use your help!

maw093

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 09:06:12 PM »
Hello,
Still working on this. The person I am doing this project for may be updating soon, but is currently waiting on a few things. Anyway, I have found that System > Mootools Upgrade is currently enabled on the website I am working on. However, while viewing the source code in my browser for an individual image page (the page with the EXIF info and download, as shown in above post) I noticed there are some important differences from the source code of the demo page at http://demo.rsgallery2.nl/index.php/component/rsgallery2/3-a-subgallery/27-1545496

For instance,
These files are not being called on my page:
Code: [Select]
<script src="/media/system/js/mootools-core.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="/media/system/js/core.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="/media/system/js/mootools-more.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Which seem to be crucial for the JavaScript in the tabs to work properly. Also within my source code, there are key pieces missing that involve the tabs.

For example, on the demo site this line reads:
<dt class="tabs page_inline_tabs_description"><span><h3><a href="javascript:void(0);">Description</a></h3></span></dt><dd class="tabs">
While on my page it reads:
<dl class="tabs" id="tabs"><dt id="rs-description"><span>Description</span></dt><dd>
Which explains why the tabs do not work.. as there is clearly JavaScript missing. Any ideas as to how these differences came about and what the solution may be?

While reading other posts, I have found there was at least one other user with Joomla 1.5x version with the same tabs issues as I am having. http://www.rsgallery2.nl/display_and_templates/where_are_tabs_just_shows_text_15130.msg39335.html#msg39335

Thanks!

Offline mirjam

• Retired from Dev Team
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 02:41:07 PM »
Different loading of MooTools files
The demosite is on Joomla 2.5 with RSGallery2 v3.x as opposed to your site which is on Joomla 1.5.x with RSGallery2 2.3.0. This is a reason for different file paths or names to the mootools files. As an example some paths examples on Joomla 1.5.x that differ because of different settings, your site should load some form of mootools though:

<script type="text/javascript" src="/media/system/js/mootools-uncompressed.js"></script>when Debug System (found in Joomla's Global Configuration is on) or
<script type="text/javascript" src="/media/system/js/mootools.js"></script> when Debug System is Off or even
<script type="text/javascript" src="/plugins/system/mtupgrade/mootools.js"></script> with the System - Mootools Upgrade plugin enabled and Debug System off (on Joomla 1.5.26 that'll get you MooTools version 1.2.5).

Different HTML output for tabs
Also the code for the tabs is different in RSGallery2 version 2 or version 3 because the Joomla Framework wants to handle tabs differently. The
<dl class="tabs" id="tabs"><dt id="rs-description"><span>Description</span></dt><dd> line is the same on my Joomla 1.5 site (with a different Description though).

2008 thread "Where are the tabs? Just shows Text"
This thread from 2008 mentions Joomla 1.5.1/1.5.2 and RSGallery2 version 1.14.3 which was a version made for Joomla 1.0.x that only worked on Joomla 1.5 in legacy mode (there was no RSGallery2 version running natively on Joomla 1.5 at that time, that came in feb. 2009 with version RSGallery2 2.0.0b1). The causes for the behaviour that you see and that they saw may be very different.

Other things to try/test
Still I believe that the first thing to do is to check the combination of different modules as described in my previous post (of course after updating Joomla to the latest version in the 1.5.x line...), trying with System Debug on/off and trying the default template rhuk_milkyway.

maw093

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 12:27:48 AM »
Okay thank you for the info.

Also I have tried switching to the default template rhuk_milkyway and the tabs did function properly when the site was set to this template.

The site I am working on is currently using a template called Juli. (this is the author's site http://www.webgau.de/ if that helps at all, I do not speak German so it probably won't help me until I use a translator)

I need to look more into System Debug, but this is what I have found so far. Do you have any ideas as to what I may need to change in the code as this appears to at least partly be a template issue.

Offline mirjam

• Retired from Dev Team
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 01:25:25 PM »
I do think I have a solution...

Summary of what was discussed:
- Problem: Joomla 1.5, tabs don't work.
- Mootools plugin is enabled. Question: what happens if you disable this? (This changes the MooTools version that is used, no harm in trying). Not done yet.
- Output with only RSGallery2 component output: tabs do work.
- Default Joomla templat rhuk_milkayway: tabs do work.
- Disable (temporarily) all modules, then enable them one by one: not done yet.

I've downloaded and installed the template you mentioned on my testsite:
  Database Version:    5.1.33-community
  Database Collation:    utf8_general_ci
  PHP Version:    5.2.9
  Web Server:    Apache/2.2.11 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8i PHP/5.2.9
  Web Server to PHP interface:    apache2handler
  Joomla! Version:    Joomla! 1.5.26 Stable [ senu takaa ama busani ] 27-March-2012 18:00 GMT
  User Agent:    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0
RSGallery2 2.3.0 is used.

The tabs don't work with this Juli template on my system either.

What I've tried:
- Disabling/enabling the Mootools plugin doesn't change things.
- Disabling/enabling System Debug doesn't change things.
- Adding "&tmpl=component" to the URL to get only RSG2 output: tabs do work.
- Disabling all modules, by way of setting the Access Level of all published modules to Registered so that I, as a user who is not logged in, cannot see them, does make the tabs work either.

Temporary conclusion: it's likely to be some javascript thing. Even more since Internet Explorer is complaining about "Object doesn't support this property or method" twice for the mootools.js file. So let's take a look at all the javascript things that are loaded.

JQuery is one of the javascript libraries that is loaded. However, jQuery and MooTools are known to not to play nice together. See for example this page: http://www.phil-taylor.com/2007/01/31/using-mootools-and-jquery-without-conflict/. On that page is also en easy and nice solution, which is to use the noConflict mode of jQuery!

That means that you want to find the file /JOOMLAROOT/templates/juli/index.php and add on line 23
jQuery.noConflict();to get (lines 22-37)
<script type="text/javascript">
    jQuery.noConflict(); //Added to allow MooTools and jQuery to play nice together!
    $(document).ready(function(){
        $("ul.menu-nav").supersubs({
animation:   {opacity:'show',height:'show'},
            minWidth:    12,   // minimum width of sub-menus in em units
            maxWidth:    27,   // maximum width of sub-menus in em units
            extraWidth:  1     // extra width can ensure lines don't sometimes turn over

// due to slight rounding differences and font-family
        }).superfish();  // call supersubs first, then superfish, so that subs are
                         // not display:none when measuring. Call before initialising
                         // containing tabs for same reason.
    });

</script>
Now MooTools and jQuery can be used together.

This is something the developer of the template can easily add to make sure that people who use his template and who use other third party extensions that rely on Mootools can combine these extensions.

maw093

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 09:34:08 PM »
Ah thank you so much! It looks so much better with working tabs!

I really appreciate the help, I have put weeks into getting this fixed and all it took was less than 10 lines of JavaScript.

Thanks again!   :D

Offline mirjam

• Retired from Dev Team
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »
Always good to hear something works!

<snip> and all it took was less than 10 lines of JavaScript.

Notice that you only need to add one line of Javascript! All the other lines in my post were copied from the template.

Next time you'll be able to find such a thing yourself!   :)