collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Can't get RSG "Show My Galleries" to work by Dampfnudel
[February 25, 2019, 11:01:55 AM]

Change the order of uploaded images in the gallery by whazzup
[February 19, 2019, 10:37:29 PM]

Upload timeout for large galleries (500 images each) by whazzup
[February 11, 2019, 10:07:25 PM]

Greetings from Ronald Smit by whazzup
[January 06, 2019, 03:39:22 PM]

Pluign and module by whazzup
[June 08, 2018, 11:57:13 PM]

Version 4.4.1 released by whazzup
[May 31, 2018, 04:31:16 PM]

search.html.php refer to rsgsearch.css with a wrong path by whazzup
[January 13, 2018, 08:12:04 PM]

Slow Gallery with many Photos by whazzup
[September 22, 2017, 09:22:33 AM]

Safe way to upgrade from RSG2 for J!1.5.23 to 3.4.3

• 2 replies
Safe way to upgrade from RSG2 for J!1.5.23 to 3.4.3
« on: July 31, 2015, 03:50:43 PM »
Hello,

I am currently trying to migrate my Joomla from version 1.5.23 to the latest 3.4.3.  I have a very outdated RSGallery, to say the least, so that will be updated also.
My question is:  I have hundreds of images posted on numerous forums, and I am afraid that if I update the RSGallery component, that those links may be deactivated or broken somehow.  Please let me know the best route to avoid this!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:08:17 PM by whazzup »

Offline mirjam

Re: Safe way to upgrade from RSG2 for J!1.5.23 to 3.4.3
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 11:30:12 AM »
This is a rather difficult one. It also depends on whether or not you are using
SEF (Search Engine Friendly) URLs.

Let me try to explain...

Joomla has several series
a - versions 1.0.x
b - versions 1.5.x (from which you want to upgrade)
c - versions 1.6.x/1.7.x/2.5.x
d - versions 3.x (currently at 3.4.3)

Similarly RSGallery2 has versions that run on these series
b - RSGallery2 version 2.3.0 is the latest/last that runs on Joomla 1.5.x
c - RSGallery2 version 3.2.0 is the latest/last that runs on Joomla 2.5.x
d - RSGallery2 version 4 on which whazzup is working (https://github.com/RSGallery2/RSGallery2_Component/releases)

Going from the "b-series" to the "c-series" there are several changes to the database. However, the id numbes of images and galleries are kept the same. That's a good thing. There also have been changes in how SEF URLs are handled. I believe that one option was removed, one was kept the same and one option was added in how to show SEF URLs (but it's a looong time ago...).

What I remember from upgrading Joomla from 1.5.x to 2.5.x is that you needed a 3rd party component that will know what tables to keep and what files to keep. Basically that are the database tables starting with (having jos_ as prefix here:) "jos_rsgallery2_" and the files in the directory "JOOMLAROOT/images/rsgallery/". I wrote an extension file for one of those 3rd party component back then (though it was in its package, they unfortunately never listed it on their website :( ).

However, you can export/import these database tables yourself with for example phpMyAdmin and you can copy the directory yourself as well. Then you would install RSG2 3.x on J2.5.x and RSGallery2 would handle several changes since it knows what the version was you were coming from. These you can do yourself as well, if you understand how the database/phpMyAdmin works. Look in the package RSG2 3.2.0 in the directory /admin/sql/updates/mysql. There you see a number of files e.g. "3.0.2.sql" that hold the sql statements needed to get to version 3.0.2 from an earlier version. In these files you need to change "#__" to your prefix e.g. "jos_". But this is all when you want to do it by hand.

Then we have the upgrade from RSG2 3.x on J2.5.x to RSG2 4.x on J3.x ("c-series" to "d-series" in this story). That is what whazzup has been working on, and I have not kept track on whether or not there are database changes or if RSG2 4 checks what the previous version was and will do the required database changes (whazzup, could you comment on this?).

Actually, I haven't even upgraded from J2.5 to J3 myself (oops, yes I know, but with a fun toddler in the house...), so I cannot give any insights on that.

What I am trying to say with a long story is that no one can give garantees on what will or won't work. It depends for example on SEF settings that you have.

Personally I would install something like XAMPP on my home pc, export my website to my home pc and run it on XAMPP. Then try to upgrade/migrate on my home pc (based on what I know now I'd do J1.5 to J2.5 first and then to J3), and when I have things up and running the way I like it, move the website to the webserver (possibly first in a subdomain or subdirectory for testing).

I'd love to see you comments from your upgrade experience here so that your experience may help other users. Good luck!
With a little boy in the house I don't spend as much time on RSG2 anymore.

I still like RSG2, if you do too, please think about how you can invest some of your time in RSG2... the one remaining coding volunteer (Whazzup) can use your help!

Re: Safe way to upgrade from RSG2 for J!1.5.23 to 3.4.3
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 12:45:15 PM »
I can't tell about upgrading from J! 1.5 to 2.5 as my site was hacked and therefore I needed to start from scratch with J! 2.5. (Some of my galleries are still not transferred)

The move from 2.5 to 3.x was smooth. There is no change in the database structure of RSGallery2 since I use this J!2.5 version. The component and some plugins and a modul are just adapted to the changes needed for J3x.

The only advice I learned from mirjam is to do a backup, do the next step, backup and continue.

It may be hard to upgrade from 1.5 but with the new structure of joomla it gets smoother even in the future. In J!3 you will be asked for updates when a component has changed for example. We will introduce this function within the next half year.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 02:57:07 PM by whazzup »
If you are looking for the newest version of  RSGallery2 for Joomla 3 please check out https://github.com/RSGallery2